Adventure Travel Trends Revealed in 2017 Study
- The most in-demand adventure activities mentioned were ecotourism, cultural, environmentally sustainable, hiking, and culinary. Also popular for specific regions were cycling and safari activities.
- Adventure tour operators say destinations receiving interest from adventure travelers are Scandinavia, South America, Southern Africa, and the Mediterranean.
- Trip types receiving more interest from clients included “shorter duration” and “long haul/overseas” trips, along with “custom itineraries” and “family/multi-generational” trips.
- Couples are the most prevalent group type, making up 37 percent of clients. Eighteen percent of clients are solo travelers, and 19 percent are families. Groups make up 26 percent of guests. Families were up three percent over last year and solo travelers were up one percent.
- Clients are slightly more likely to be women – 51 percent of clients – than men. This has gone down 2 percent since 2016, when tour operators reported 53 percent women clients.
- In terms of adventure traveler demographics, the largest group of adventure travel tour operator clients (40 percent) are between the ages of 50-70. The average age of the adventure traveler reported is 47 years old.